St. Peter’s Church is very popular with local organisations. The Shantymen perform here and also use St. Peter’s for recording purposes.
We hold regular concerts in the church. Details can be found on our Events page.
The first part of the organ – a Great Organ, Swell Organ and Pedal Organ built by Bishop and Son of Ipswich – was installed in 1907, occupying one arch in the Chancel. The Choir Organ was prepared for completion at a later date and was installed in 1911.
A rebuild and enlargement in 1935 by Binns, Haley and Fitton introduced some electric action and detached ‘horseshoe’ console. The organ, as now, occupied both North Side arches in the Chancel.
Above: Organ case and console in September 1935 before refurbishment (left) and the new console in December 1935.
E.W. Storr carried out an enlargement and urgent renewal of worn parts in 1962 and a new West case by Richard Bower in 1977.
1986 saw the organ returning to the care of Bishops and having a complete rebuild with new drawstop console and in 2004 various further improvements were made.
Very soon after the consecration of St. Peter’s in 1897 a choir was formed and a fine choral tradition was founded, which continues to this day.
Left: St. Peter’s Choir in 1910.
St.Peter’s has a four-part SATB choir – including young trebles.
The choir rehearses on a Tuesday with the trebles beginning at 6.30pm and being joined by the adults at 7.00pm.
Junior choristers work towards their Light Blue and Dark Blue medals before being entered for The Royal School of Church Music Dean’s and Bishop’s Awards.
Music from all periods is sung – from Thomas Tallis to music composed recently.
The choir performs a Motet and an Anthem at The Eucharist every Sunday and sings at weddings, funerals and memorial services when requested. It has sung Choral Evensong in Norwich Cathedral and at churches in North Norfolk.
The choir is always pleased to welcome new members both young and adult. Boy and girl trebles are usually admitted when they are seven-and-a-half years old.